It’s that time of year again! Virginia Tech, Sustainable Blacksburg, and the Town of Blacksburg have a wonderful schedule of events focused on environmental sustainability lined up for next week. Here are some of particular interest students:
Sunday, October 11, 2009
- Daniel Goleman, author of Ecological Intelligence speech, 7:30 p.m., Burruss Hall Auditorium, Virginia Tech (For more information on the event, click here)
Monday, October 12, 2009
- Virginia Tech’s President Charles Steger and the Town of Blacksburg’s Mayor Ron Rordam lead a Kick-Off Event, 1:15 p.m., Latham Ballroom, The Inn at Virginia Tech
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
- Stroubles Creek Cleanup, 1 – 5 p.m., go to http://www.stroublescreek.bse.vt.edu/restoration.htm to sign-up and for further information
- Free movie Sense of Wonder, 5:30, The Lyric in conjunction with the NRV Master Naturalists, a documentary about Rachel Carson’s life; her love for the natural world and her fight to defend it.
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
- Tours of LEED-Certified Theatre 101 Building, 11:10 a.m. & 1:30 p.m., meet on the steps of the Theatre 101 Building, College Avenue
- Farmers Market, 2 – 7 p.m., Roanoke Street, between Draper Road and Otey Street
- Chef Roulette, 3 – 6 p.m., Farmers Market, featuring VT West End Market Chef, Mark Bratton
- Town Council Candidate Forum, 7 p.m., Graduate Life Center Auditorium, Virginia Tech.
Thursday, October 15, 2009
- NRV Food Share Meeting, 8am-9am, Owens Food Court at Virginia Tech: Meet with others in the NRV interested in diverting food from groceries, restaurants, and institutions to those that need it. Breakfast is potluck and also features a local/organic frittata made at Farms and Fields.
- Campus Tree Planting, 1 – 4 p.m., Washington and Kent Streets.
- Smithfield Plantation Tour, Sustainable Agriculture, 2 – 3 p.m.
- Campus Sustainability Fair, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., Commonwealth Ballroom, Squires Student Center
- Open Forum: Campus Sustainability Progress Report, 5 – 7 p.m., Commonwealth Ballroom, Squires Student Center
For a complete schedule and more information, visit Virginia Tech’s Sustainability webpage.