The university, as of late last month, is accepting all commingled containers number 1-7. The graphic here displays how that is indicated, usually on the bottom of the container. We recycle through Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority, or MRSWA, and their web page provides a very useful guide to what is recyclable and what is not.
Here are some highlights to guide your sustainable dining experience:
- water cups (new!)
- “Hokie Water” bottles (but buy a Dining Services bottle to save waste, work out better, and save money!)
- soda bottles
- glass bottles of any color
- aluminum foil
- aluminum cans
- To-go boxes (try doing a Green to-go container instead!)
- plastic cutlery (use metal or make/buy your own kit)
- plastic wrap
- anything you place on a tray return will be sorted and recycled
- these rules apply all across campus in any bin
- mixed paper is separate from commingled containers, which is what includes glass and plastic
Thank you for reducing, reusing, and finally recycling your waste! Virginia Tech Dining is one step closer to a closed-loop system. Thank you for your care!
Questions, comments, suggestions on how to make recycling better in your dining centers? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.