Dining Services Celebrates
EARTH WEEK 2013
Earth Week 2013 is coming up next week (4/22 – 4/26) and Dining Services is ready! Dining Services is hosting a few events to highlight our sustainable dining initiatives across campus. More information below:
Put a face to the name of the people growing your food! The farmers, cheesemakers, bakers, and distributors of your food all have their own story. Come learn more about it! Dining Services sources “local” products that are grown, raised, processed within 250 miles of Blacksburg, VA or within the state of Virginia.
Executive Chef Mark Bratton and Chef de Cuisine Jon Creger of West End Market will be hosting a cooking demonstration focused on cooking with sustainable fish. Sign up here.
Special Locally Sourced Products: All Week Long at Owens Food Court
Owens Food Court will be showcasing local products in all shops, not just the Farms & Fields Project, during Earth Week (4/22- 4/26). Keep an eye out for Local Icons indicating which items are being sourced locally.
We’d like to thank Produce Source Partners, for working with local producers and helping to champion Contributing Local Vendors:
- Big Spring Mill: Elliston, VA, Flour
- Dining Services Garden at Kentland Farm, Blacksburg, VA, Microgreens & basil
- Grayson Natural Farms: Grayson County, VA, Grass Finished Beef
- Homestead Creamery, Wertz, VA: Milk & Ice Cream
- J C Bean Sprout: Bean Sprouts
- Kirby Farms: Greens, Sweet Potatoes
- Local Food Hub: Charlottesville, VA, Lettuces, Arugula, Spinach
- Mann’s Sausage Company, Blacksburg, VA: Sausages
- Mountain View Farm: Fairfield, VA: Cheeses
- Murray’s Cider Company: Apple Cider
- Pearce Family Farm: Cascades, VA, Eggs
- Rock Hill Honey Bee Farm: Stafford, VA Honey
- Sweet Water Baking Company, Floyd, VA: Bread
- Twin Oaks Tofu: Louisa, VA, Tofu
- VT Meats , Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA: Pork, Beef, Lamb
- VT Milk: Blacksburg, VA, Milk
Get on the Bus to Kentland Farm: The Dining Services Garden at Kentland Farm will be having their next Workday on Saturday 4/27 from 10 AM – 1 PM in partnership with VT ENGAGE. Transportation is provided, please contact Wyatt to reserve your seat!
More info on VT Earth Week Events at www.vtearthweek.com