Dining Services is hiring an intern for their Sustainability program.
Sustainable Dining Internship Description
One of Virginia Tech Dining Services’ seven guiding principles is to “Promote a sustainable dining and food system at Virginia Tech and therefore the greater community.” Programs like the Farms & Fields Project at Owens Food Court, Food Waste Composting, the Dining Services Farm at Kentland, Reusable To-Go Program are a few examples of ways that Dining Services puts our guiding principles into action. Sustainable Dining aims to advance sustainability in what we eat, sustainability in where our waste goes and sustainability in what we use while at Virginia Tech.
Sustainable Dining at Virginia Tech seeks a dynamic, self-starter to assist in promoting sustainable dining programs. This internship is an excellent opportunity to impact the Virginia Tech campus in a lasting way. This position is meant to last for a least one semester with the potential to continue on in subsequent semesters.
- Coordinate events to promote sustainable dining efforts.
- Generate interest and promote events hosted by Dining Services Sustainability.
- Outreach efforts including speaking to classes, tabling at events, etc.
- Assist with implementing social media strategy (facebook, twitter, Instagram, blog posts, etc).
- Spearhead research projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively and in a professional manner.
- Passion for Sustainability in Food and Dining including supporting local farmers and producers, understanding waste minimization strategies to include composting and recycling as well as compostable and reusable to-go containers.
- Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space.
- Must have a working knowledge of Word, Excel, and internet research.
- Experience in graphic design and/or filmmaking is a preferred qualification.
Total Hours per Week: 10 – 20
Compensation: $8.50/hour, including meal equivalences provided per each 3 hour shift worked
To Apply, please send a resume & cover letter to email@example.com by Monday January 26, 2015