Happy Sustainability Week, Blacksburg!
Sustainable Dining Services has some exciting specials this week, plus we’d like to highlight events and activities that are going on within the greater community as well.
1. Taste the season’s first winter squash at selected dining halls this week, all grown at the Dining Services Farm at Kentland! Make sure to catch every one of these delicious specials:
- At D2: Kentland Harvest Pizza – Roasted Winter Squash Medley, Mixed Herbs, Fall Greens, Caramelized onions, Bleu Cheese, Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan Cheese, and Balsamic Glaze (served all week)
- At Owens: Pumpkin Pie (Tuesday & Wednesday), Buttercup Squash & Apple Bake (Thursday) – all at Sweet Temptations
- At Turner: Apple, Butternut & Kuri Squash Bisque (all week, Soup Garden); Roasted tomato pizza (Tuesday & Thursday) Garlic scape and mushroom pizza (Wednesday), plus all marinara sauce will be from the farm (Atomic Pizza); Roasted beets and potatoes (Friday, 1872 Fire Grill)
2. Attend the New River Land Trust’s screening of the documentary “New Farms, Big Success” – a film about three farmers who are working to develop an enduring, local food network in a time of climate change. The screening will be Tuesday (9/15), starting at 7 PM in the YMCA Building (1000 N. Main).
3. Make sure to use your Dining Services Reusable To-Go container and Camelbak water bottle for the chance to get #caughtgreenhanded! Caught Green Handed Ambassadors will be roaming campus and the Town, waiting to catch someone committing a sustainable act. Your picture could be featured on the Facebook page, plus you get a cool sticker!
Visit Sustainability Week website for full list of events. Sign up for something fun and let us know what you try!