Sustainability in What you Eat:
- Dining Services spent 12.9 % of its food and beverage budget on local food last academic year. This is an increase from 10.8% in 2012-13.
- Our Farm Manager, Alex Hessler, is teaching a course this Fall on Small Scale Sustainable Farm Management. He already has 13 students enrolled. Consider adding the class to your schedule (Hort 4984)!
- The Hokie Hi Welcome Picnic will be serving local watermelon from the Dining Services Farm, all 1600 lbs of it!
Sustainability in What you Use:
- This year, Dining Services has a new Reusable Water Bottle for sale in most of our units. The water bottle can used for water and customers can get a discount on soda when presented at the register in participating units (see full list here).
- Pay $3 cash or $6 flex for use of a Reusable To-Go Container when ordering food. When finished with the container, return the container to the Ozzi machine located next to the kiosk in WEM, and receive a token. This token can then be handed to the cashiers at WEM for the next time they would like to order in a Reusable To-Go container.
- All Coke cups are now compostable. Make sure you throw it in the right bin (the compost bin) when you leave! If you set it on the dish return, our staff will take care of it.
- The Hokie Hi Picnic this year will be Zero Waste which means that all to-go ware will be either compostable or recyclable. This event is designated to be a Virginia Green Event and will reduce the amount of trash going to the landfill drastically.
- Stay tuned for news on potentially transitioning away from foam to-go containers sometime this coming academic year!
Sustainability in Where it Goes:
- Since 2009, VT Dining Services has diverted more than 2100 tons of waste from the landfill through our composting program. Eventually, some of the finished compost goes back to the farm to be used to enrich our soil and close the loop.